Back to Events
The Free Speech Leadership Summit
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 6:30-8:30pm
The Paley Center for Media, Chairman’s Suite
The Writers Guild of America, East Foundation, PEN, and The Creative Coalition are joining with The Writers Guild of America, East, The Dramatists Guild, and The Authors Guild to engage in a conversation about Free Speech in an age of rapidly changing technologies.
The leadership of these organizations is gathering to forge a working relationship that will allow them to respond jointly to challenges and threats to freedom of expression as they arise around the world.
Speakers will include Dr. Rachel Ehrenfeld, Director, American Center for Democracy, who spearheaded the passage of “Rachel’s Law” in
New York, Florida, and Illinois, and the Free Speech Protection Act of 2009, pending in Congress.
Daniel Kornstein, of Kornstein Veisz Wexler & Pollard, LLP, a leading First Amendment lawyer, who has agreed to give an overview of the state of free speech today.
1. WELCOME BY TOM FONTANA, President, Writers Guild of America, East Foundation.
2. INTRODUCTION OF ORGANIZATIONS: Each organization will introduce itself and highlight one or two issues of special concern, and distribute a brief summary about its issue(s).
3. ADDRESS TO GROUP BY SPEAKERS, Daniel Kornstein and Dr. Rachel Ehrenfeld.
4. DISCUSSION AND CREATION OF WORKING ALLIANCES: An open-ended conversation of the issues and the creation of alliances among interested parties will conclude the evening.
The Paley Center for Media is located at 25 W 52nd Street, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. The event will be held in the Chairman’s Suite, which is located on the 11th floor.*
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact Sarah Zucker at the Writers Guild of America, East Foundation at 212.767.7843 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The use of the Paley Center’s facilities by the Sponsor does not constitute endorsement by the Paley Center of the views that may be expressed by the Sponsor nor does it constitute endorsement of any programs or screenings which may be presented during the Event. All printed materials prepared in connection with the Event, including invitations, must bear a disclaimer along the following lines: "The use of The Paley Center for Media’s facilities does not constitute endorsement by the Paley Center of any views expressed during this event."